I realized the other day I haven't posted anything here for quite some time and I realized it's because absolutely NOTHING has happend! We're in the slow, hum-drum stage of the deployment where we go to work, come home, eat, sleep and do it all over again. Aside from the occasional Army things that need to get done, not many surprises around here. That being said, i'll get to it and post some random pictures i've got.
This place isn't much to look at, but the sunrises are awesome here! BTW, this picture was taken at 0430 am as the sun comes up very early here. Being on the graveyard shift, I get to enjoy this everyday! Yeah corny I know, but it gives me something to look forward to.


These two pictures are an example of what dust storms are like over here. The first time one of these guys rolled through I felt like I was on Mars or something. Notice the contrast of color from the inside of the shelter to outside. Not too much fun to be outside during these days to say the least. Hard to breathe and the sand gets EVERYWHERE. Nuff said.

The water situation.... This is one of many "water points" that are placed randomly around the FOB. We're lucky enough to have this one sitting right outside our company area and don't have to walk far to keep stocked up. As you can probably make out they come in packages of eight and are always covered in sand. The average temperture outside during the day is around 110-115 degrees so these things are not too pleasant to drink until you get them cooled down a bit! I'm not really sure where the water comes from, although I can tell you the taste of the water is horrible. Nonetheless, it's better than nothing and when it becomes unbearable a quick shot of Gatorade powder seems to help out.

Just a picture of the city surrounding the FOB. Not much to look at, but interesting nonetheless.
Good to see you are doing OK Mike. It's interesting for us to see what your area is like and some of the experiences you're having. We would love to talk with you if you get the chance to call. Or, give us a number where we can call you - we miss talking with you!! Love you son. Mom & Dad
ReplyDeleteMcRae!
ReplyDeleteIt's nice to go through your blog and get a sense for how things are going for you. The sunrises look awesome. And the heat 110-115 degrees.....sounds like St George to me!-Jon King