Monday, February 23, 2009

The Day Mike Left....

Today was an extremely hard day. We knew this day was coming but as always, it came way to fast. All of us woke up early to take Mike to the airport and say our goodbyes. As Mike approached the security gates, Charlee couldn't handle it anymore and broke down in tears. It was all down hill from there. The tears kept coming for all of us, Mikes heart was breaking as he watched his baby girl struggle with him leaving. He had to pull himself away and go through the dreaded security gate where we waved goodbye and said our "I Love You's!" The women at the security counter asked Mike where he was going. He told them about his deployment to Iraq and they all became solemn and started crying too. As each one of them looked over at Charlee, I could tell their hearts went out to our family. It was a tender moment to see the airport security workers crying.

We waved goodbye as the airplane took off (since we live in such a small town, it was the only flight leaving at that time - we knew Mike was on it!) and then made our way to the car. We had a tough day trying to fight off tears, explaining over and over why daddy has to leave, and being at a home where it didn't feel full.

I know that Mike knows how much his family loves him. We are so proud of him and his willingness to serve our country. When I start feeling sorry for myself, I have to tell myself it is a privilege and an honor to have a husband who is willing to fight for the freedom of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment